Another Canadian Thing

Posted by J. Fontana | Posted in | Posted on 10:15 AM


What of the Bloody Mary versus Caesar cocktail anomaly that exists between the two neighboring countries of Canada and the USA? In Canada, almost no one ever orders a Bloody Mary for a cocktail. The drink of choice is the Bloody Caesar, but they never call it that -- they just say 'Caesar'. Conversely, in the USA, the Bloody Mary is always requested using it's full name and never just 'Mary'. (On a side note, I have notice that in the last decade or so, a great majority of people have adopted the phrase "Can I get..." when ordering something. As in; "Can I get a Bloody Mary?" This makes me cringe when I hear it uttered -- after all, one is asking if they, themselves, are capable of getting a Bloody Mary and not if the server can get one for them. Highly irritating.)

Same drink, different binding medium. Bloody Mary uses spiced tomato juice, where the Caesar calls for the much less viscous Clamato Juice, which is tomato juice mixed with clam juices.

I'm not sure why Candians shun the Bloody Mary. The two drinks are nearly identical in taste and I would wager money that in a blind taste test, that one could not tell the difference. Conversely, Americans rarely request the Caesar - not sure why.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment